Saturday 18 June 2011

The Weighted Companion Cube (please take care of it)

At MCM Expo 2011 with some idolized fictional men.

I can finally check it off my to-do list. I made myself a relatively life-size Weighted Companion Cube; as a costume for MCM Expo London no less!

It was one of the most entertaining craft projects I’ve undertaken, and the second most time consuming after my Rubik’s Cube pumpkin carving expedition last Halloween.

I’d debated whether to make it primarily out of Styrofoam or cardboard but opted for the latter on a budget. Cardboard, papier maché, a tube of super glue, duct tape and a whole lot of love went into making my companion a reality. I suppose I should also factor in wine and the Drive-by Truckers into my budget as they also made for good company throughout a fair chunk of the process.

After some awkward measuring of screen captures of Portal gameplay to work out proportions, I began the process by making templates of the pieces I would use to layer the raised corner edges of the cube. Here is where I don’t lie and admit that about 10 hours of work went into the cube by the point that all of said layering was done.


I then went old school and used papier maché to cover the edges. I would have liked to cover the whole thing to smooth out some of the rougher edges of the cardboard but I was worried it would be too heavy since I’d planned to strap it to myself with nothing but suspenders. Two layering and drying sessions later, it was ready for paint. And overall, I am so happy with the way it came out in terms of rough proportions and colouring. And it was so well received at Expo. I felt like a priest offering forgiveness to all those who confessed to incinerating me over the years. It was truly beautiful, that bond.

And now comes the point that I am trying to pawn it off online because I sadly do not have the floorspace for it and ironically, I just cannot bear to throw it away; it has been a faithful companion



1 comment:

  1. He is so beautiful! I still can't get over him! If he were in Canada, I would find a way to turn him into a side table!!!

    ReplyDelete