Saturday 21 June 2014

Grate Cooking

The last time I flew home to Montreal, my parents were wary as to what they would feed me if not the staples of my diet the first 25 years of my life (pasta, bread, and beer). The weather was fantastic so twist of a nozzle, up went the flames and the barbecue presented me with what I quickly learned was one of the most reliable ways to cook gluten-free.

Gluten-free Barbecuing


Back to London, and we invested in a charcoal BBQ, which, while admittedly more finicky and time consuming than a gas one, lends a wonderful smoky taste and smell to whatever we happen to be grilling the hell out of. A whole meal came out of the first BBQ session, chicken brochettes (cubed peppers, onion and mango), slathered in paprika and a bit of a honey mustard glaze and to the flames/ashen charcoal they go. Jacket potatoes wrapped in foil rested directly on the coals and to make the most of the hot grilling space (a small rectangle is much more ergonomically sensible than a round grill) we threw on a package of my favourite Heck gluten-free sausages for good measure, thinking there might be a few left over for breakfast. We thought wrong. It was bloody fantastic.


 Now to brainstorm ideas for barbecued desserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment